Amanda-Users

OS X Client slow estimate phase

2003-03-23 07:04:24
Subject: OS X Client slow estimate phase
From: rwk AT americom DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 23 Mar 2003 10:30:19 -0000
I have just installed a 2.4.4 client on OS X 10.2 and it is working with
a Linux amanda-2.4.4 server (RH 8).  I am using it successfully with
hfstar.

However, the estimate phase is taking almost 50 minutes to estimate 4.7G
(full dump).  Using Linux dump on two other clients each with over 4G to
backup, the estimate phase is under 2 minutes.

I have two Windows XP clients being backed up using samba (on the same
network) and the estimate phase on each of these is also only a few
minutes (with several gig. each to backup).

Has anyone else experienced long estimates using amanda and hfstar on OS X?
Is there any way to improve the speed on this?
Why is it so slow when "dump" and "samba" are not?

Thanks,
Dick

P.S.  At first I thought it didn't work at all, but I increased the
value of etimeout to 60 minutes and it then worked.