Amanda-Users

Re: Disklist confusion

2003-03-21 10:50:42
Subject: Re: Disklist confusion
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu DOT se>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:19:20 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 at 1:20am, Mats Blomstrand wrote

> Hi all
> I have a very large disk (700GB) where my users have their $HOME's.
> Can someone please help me with a example disklist file for user 'foo'
> and 'bar' on separate "images"?
>
> Reading manpages, the amanda chapter and other textfiles i have come
> up with this:
>
> hostname home_foo /home/foo {
>   normal_backup
> } 1
>
> hostname home_bar /home/bar {
>   normal_backup
> } 1
>
> Can this be right?  (im confused...)

What are you confused about?  When using tar (as your dumptype is), a
diskdevice can be any directory.  So, actually, the disknames in your DLEs
are redundant.  For such a situation, I just do:

hostname /home/foo dumptype
hostname /home/bar dumptype

> What happens if i write
>   exclude /home/*
>   include /home/foo
>
> or
>   include /home/foo
>   exclude /home/*
>
> ? Either one seems backward-logic to me.

For those types of entries, your diskdevice would need to be the same over
multiple DLEs:

hostname /home/foo /home {
   normal_backup
   include ./foo
}
hostname /home/bar /home {
   normal_backup
   include ./bar
}

I think part of what you're missing is that if you put an include in your
dumptype, it overrides the default include *.  Puzzle over the included
example disklist -- it took me a while, but I finally grokked
include/exclude/etc by looking at that and amanda(8).

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering