Amanda-Users

Re: RE: differential vs incremental backups

2003-03-18 16:54:56
Subject: Re: RE: differential vs incremental backups
From: mbrkic AT farelogix DOT com
To: Thomas Hu <thomash AT date DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:29:44 -0500
The problem with incremental backups is that it
eventually runs out of levels. It works fine for the
first few days, while the level increases daily. But
what happens once you reach 9?! It stays at 9 and
does a differential compared to the last 8,  so it
will backup more and more days, until, one day you
run out of tape.

The only workaround I can think of is to wrap a
script around amdump to only backup the directory
that was changed in the last day. But this becomes
equivalent to me managing the dumps, which seems to
defeat the purpose of using Amanda in the first place :)

Cheers,
Milos