Amanda-Users

Backing up Windows XP Home Clients

2003-03-17 20:27:43
Subject: Backing up Windows XP Home Clients
From: philo vivero <phiviv AT hacklab DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 17 Mar 2003 16:04:16 -0800
I am setting up Amanda to back up a heterogenous Linux/Win32 network
including several XP Home clients.

It looks like Microsoft has completely stripped the concept of security
out of Windows shares on XP Home. You can share something, but you
cannot set a password or, so far as I can tell, in any way secure the
share you've created.

It would appear the Win32 Amanda clients are the only secure option for
backing up XP Home clients (if you've settled on Amanda for backing up
computers).

I am downloading the Win32 Amanda clients now for the purposes of
installing and using them. I'll report back here on how successful this
operation is.

I think the "smbclient" method of backing up Win32 machines will soon be
impractical for small businesses. Expect increased interest in the
Amanda Win32 clients as XP Home starts its dreadful spread through the
small business world.

--
pv
If this helped you, http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=philovivero