Amanda-Users

Re: Backup and recovery CD

2003-03-16 16:12:08
Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
From: Leonid Mamchenkov <f.l.amanda-users AT news.francoudi DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:30:10 +0000 (UTC)
Dear Bernhard Erdmann,

Once you wrote about "Re: Backup and recovery CD":
BE> >I have been trying to do a complete restore on a Red Hat box for some time
BE> >now.  I haven't been able to figure out a way to access my SCSI tape drive
BE> >from Red Hat rescue mode.  Perhaps I'm missing something?
BE>
BE> No, just RedHat did miss to include the st (SCSI tape) driver. I've been
BE> bitten, too.

Yup, RedHat's mistake.  Fortunately, they've realized this.  Quote from
Release Notes for the next (8.1) Redhat Linux version which is currently
in beta:

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/phoebe-3/en/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES

"
o The rescue mode environment (accessed by booting with the "linux
  rescue" boot-time command) has been enhanced. Numerous requested
  utilities have been added, and there is now support for activating
  network interfaces. Commands needed for SCSI tape support are also
  available. Please test this environment and send us your feedback.

"

--
Best regards,
  Leonid Mamtchenkov, RHCE