Amanda-Users

The Million Dollar amcheck Question (host down)

2003-03-14 12:41:43
Subject: The Million Dollar amcheck Question (host down)
From: "ljrsnn" <ljrsnn AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:02:22 -0000
Hi folks!
I know this question is asked a lot, and I've looked
through various
solutions, and the FAQ but can't seem to solve my
problem. (I'm trying to run this on Linux)
When I run amcheck, I get the following error:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /usr/local/etc/amanda/Test/dumps: 692120
KB disk space
available, that's plenty
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Test02 label ok
Server check took 3.230 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: snitch: selfcheck request timed out.  Host
down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.024 seconds, 1
problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)

-This creates an amcheck.*.debug file with the
appropriate timestamp,
and this file is as follows:

amcheck: debug 1 pid 3264 ruid 0 euid 0: start at Thu
Mar 13 16:33:09
2003
amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.981
amcheck: pid 3264 finish time Thu Mar 13 16:33:39 2003

-However, NO amandad.*.debug file is created. (using ls -
lu /usr/local/libexec/amandad, the file is not being accessed when
amcheck is run)
Please note that I am using xinetd instead of inetd.
In /etc/xindetd.d , I have the amanda,amidxtape and
amindexd files as
respectively:

# default: off

service amanda {
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = root
        group           = disk
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
amidxtape:
# Converted by Linux-Mandrake_inetdconvert
service amidxtape
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  =
/usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
        server_args             = amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
}
amindexd:
# Converted by Linux-Mandrake_inetdconvert
service amindexd
{
 socket_type    = stream
 protocol      = tcp
 wait   = yes
 user   = root
 server   = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
 server_args    = amindexd
 disable       = no
}

This being said, I've also checked my firewalling, and the
tcpwrappers, and these seem to have no effect.
I've also tried restarting xinetd, and I made sure that amanda shows
up in ntsysv.
Can someone PLEASE give me a hand with this?
Thanks so much!

Lauren Bridges
lauren.bridges AT cedara DOT com
Lauren Bridges