Amanda-Users

Re: The amflush that wouldn't flush

2003-03-13 05:50:41
Subject: Re: The amflush that wouldn't flush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:07:15 +0100
DK Smith wrote:
I have sent the amflush command for the only degraded backup remaining. It always comes back indicating there is nothing to write to tape.

What have you specified as "holdingdisk" in your config?
Go there and see if you find a directory named to a date "20030312" or alike, and then verify that there are indeed some backups left over.
Also verify it are not just "junk" files: they should be named to a
concatenation of hostname and diskname, eventually followed by a dot
and a number to indicate chunked backup file parts.
It could be that Amanda got a write error just when writing the EOT
mark, just after the EOF mark.

Run "amcleanup YourConfig" to get amanda in a sane state again
Remove the junk files manually if necessary.

The message from amanda:

  Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
  Run amflush to flush them to tape.

is actually carefully worded with "may have been".
I have never encountered this myself, but some people on the list
once mentioned that there were no files to flush, even though amanda
warned that it could be so.

Otherwise, we need more information.