Amanda-Users

raw device ownership & permissions on SGI machine

2003-03-11 20:04:23
Subject: raw device ownership & permissions on SGI machine
From: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:35:44 -0800
Greetings.  I am using amanda to back up several clients, one of which
is an SGI Origin workstation.  This client was recently rebuilt from
scratch to IRIX 6.5.19m (yesterday, as a matter of fact :), and I don't
know if the following "problem" was present prior to the rebuild (it
was at 6.5.18m, after having been upgraded from 6.5.3m).  I do know
that amanda was working fine.

After I rebuilt the client, it had the following:

   0 crw-------    1 root     sys         0,125 Mar 11 15:26 /hw/rdisk/root

As this is the device amcheck complains about when I tell it I want to
back up the root partition, I made the following changes:

   0 crw-rw----    1 amanda   disk        0,125 Mar 11 15:26 /hw/rdisk/root

This is how it was configured before the rebuild, and amcheck is
perfectly happy with this.

If I reboot the machine, however, the device goes back to:

   0 crw-------    1 root     sys         0,125 Mar 11 15:26 /hw/rdisk/root

Is anyone familiar with this behavior in IRIX?  I am seriously contemplating
a root cronjob...

Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated.  Please reply to the list.

--drs                      /"\
desk: 510-643-0150         \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
fax:  510-643-0080          X     Against HTML Email
cell: 510-206-6084         / \