Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover: how to preserve file permissions

2003-03-07 18:49:02
Subject: Re: amrecover: how to preserve file permissions
From: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:37:04 -0800
Oh, my bad. I'm sorry for asking a slightly wrong question.

I am using smbmount for the backup. There's no notion of multiple machines here, just one. The backup server mounts folders on client
and performs the backup as a local folder.

smbmount requires the mount-er to be root (unless setuid, and I dont exactly know if there's any sec. issue with that). Amanda sees everything under the mounted folder as owned by the mount-er, root.

Of course then all file permissions and ownership right are root.

This is just a simple and dirty way to back up data on client. We plan this because the client has only one folder that needs backed up.

I guess there's no simple way other than installing Amanda on clients.

Thanks for your reply.

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 at 1:19pm, bao wrote

amrestore allows to pipe to tar, and thus we can set it to preserve the file owner + permissions.

Does anyone know how to do this with amrecover???

amrecover does the pipe to tar for you, and thus does the preservation.