Amanda-Users

Re: Pre-backup script ?

2003-03-07 10:21:12
Subject: Re: Pre-backup script ?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: joe mcguckin <joe AT via DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:57:06 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 at 12:51am, joe mcguckin wrote

> Is there a script that can be triggered to run on a client before the dump
> starts?

You *could* wrap tar with a script that looked at how it was called and
did stuff depedning on that, but there's an easier way (albeit less fine
grained).

> Also, on our mailserver, we want to shutdown sendmail and pop/imap while the
> dump is running - otherwise we get errors since the filesystem is changing.
>
> How are other Amanda users addressing this problem?

I just have cron on the amanda server call a script rather than amdump
directly.  That script and passwordless ssh do all the twiddles to the
clients I need done, runs amdump, and then untwiddles everything.

The disadvantage is that you shut down stuff for the entirety of the
amdump run, not just while that client is being dumped.  But it's a heck
of a lot easier...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering