Amanda-Users

Re: Using only one tape, full dump delayed

2003-03-03 23:24:34
Subject: Re: Using only one tape, full dump delayed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:35:45 -0500
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 04:39:05PM +0100, Urs Forster wrote:
> Dear Jon
>
> Since you found out anyway, I give up lying; I gonna tell you frankly:
> I don't know exactly what I have.
>
> 'dmesg' says: st18: <HP DDS-3 4mm DAT loader>
> 'inquire' says: [email protected]:HP      C1557A          U709|Tape, /dev/rmt/0mbn

OK, so the same unit I have.

> I did believe that this is similar to a Surestore 12000e.

Is there a 12000?  I think the 1200 is a DDS-2.

> Also I remember that somewhere it said the 'b' (berkley) option was a good
> idea for amanda.

I trust my sources and experience to skip the 'b'.

> The '72-144 Gbyte 4mm DDS-3 Autoloader Installation and User's Guide' says
> that a DDS-3 125m tape would hold 72GB uncompressed and 144GB compressed.

Not a tape, but the entire magazine of 6 tapes.

> The tape itselfes says: 12GB native Capacity.

And 6x12 == 72.

> There is no switch inside the drive to enable/disable compression,

You're Lying again :))

> so I assume when not using the 'c,u' option, it wont compress.

With my internal switch settings to power up in no compression,
allow software selection, and the driver in my Solaris 8&9 system,
c/u give HW compression, h seems to be the same, at least I
have not detected any difference, l gives HW compression off,
and m gives "leave it as it was".

> Then there is the density switch (l,m,h) for low, medium and high. I don't
> think this has to do with compression. I believe this depends on the made
> of the tape? (I am not using any)
>
> Sorry about the 'n' option. That was a lie ;-)

What do you mean by "made of the tape"?  make? mode? ???

Get to the HP support pages for the 24x6 surestore changers.  Look for
manuals and the like.  Specifically for anything to do with installation
and unix.  They have very distinct setting suggestions for several flavors
of unix for both the back panel switches and that 8 place, non-existant,
internal DIP switch.  If you follow their settings AND edit /kernel/drv/st.conf
to look at lun 1 as well as lun 0, then you will reconfigure reboot into two
/dev/rmt devices, one for the tape drive, one for the changer.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)