Amanda-Users

Re: What is a "backup level" ?

2003-02-20 09:23:10
Subject: Re: What is a "backup level" ?
From: rb AT raphinou DOT com
To: Gilles Bourcy <gilles.bourcy AT synlog DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:03:39 +0100
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:52:18AM +0100, Gilles Bourcy wrote:
> Hello
>
> First of all, thanks to Joshua Baker-LePain for his answer. It helped me
> well; now
> Amanda is correctly configured, and runs properly.
>
> My problem now is that I don't fully understand the notion of "backup
> level". And it seems
> important to correctly understand it for amrecover, or more simply for a
> general understanding
> of how Amanda works.
>
> Can you help me ?

>From what I understand, a level i backup is an incremental backup in
comparison the the last level i-1 backup.

Level 0 = full backup
Level 1 = differences from last level 0 backup
Level 2 = differences from last level 1 backup
etc, etc.

I guess someone will correct me if I did understand it wrong :-)

Raph

--
Free and Open Source Developers' European Meeting
           http://www.fosdem.org