Amanda-Users

Re: Error after installing/configuring amanda

2003-02-19 13:58:02
Subject: Re: Error after installing/configuring amanda
From: Chris Marble <cmarble AT odin.ac.hmc DOT edu>
To: madhvin AT yahoo DOT com (Madhvi Gokool)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:11:24 -0800 (PST)
Madhvi Gokool wrote:

> I added the /usr/local/sbin to the Path variable of user amanda.  I can
> successfully execute the amanda commands.
> I ran amdump without running amlabel.  I want to label the tape now-
> Running the command gives the following error
> [amanda@backup admin]$ amlabel -f DailySet1 DailySet10
> rewinding
> amlabel: tape_rewind: tape open: /dev/nst0: Permission denied
>
> If I try to remove the tape from the tape database using the amrmtape
> command - i do not know the label that should be given .
> amrmtape -v  DailySet1 <label>
> How can I start from scratch using the same tape???

The tape had to have been labelled by amlabel for the amdump to have
written to the tape.  That's just how Amanda is designed.  Are you
sure that your dump wrote to the tape and not just to your holding disk?

You will have a file called "tapelist" that shows all the tapes that
amanda has used and you have labelled.  Mine is in etc/amanda/<config>/

If your amanda user dosn't have permission to label the tape than it's
unlikely that it has permission to write to it either.
--
  Chris_Marble AT hmc DOT edu - HMC UNIX Systems Manager