Amanda-Users

Amanda, multiple tape drives, and native restores

2003-02-09 00:07:25
Subject: Amanda, multiple tape drives, and native restores
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 22:08:40 -0600
I thought about using RAIT when it was added to Amanda, but didn't
since it broke the ability to do native restores in a DR situation.
However, I did have an idea on how to use multiple drives to gain
backup speed while still being able to do a native restore.
   Has anyone considered setting up a pool of 2 or more drives, and
having a master taper process that would assign DLEs to a particular
drive whenever a drive was available?  It could be round-robin, with
a little extra logic to do some size leveling.  If you had two drives,
half of your DLEs (size-wise) would end up on drive 1 and half on
drive 2.  To restore a given DLE you would only need one of those tapes.
   Is this doable within the current framework of Amanda's codebase, or
would it require major rewrites?  Conceptually it seems fairly simple,
but I realize many things are much easier said than done.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com