Amanda-Users

Re: Almost there, Now the Amanda Client...

2003-02-07 15:32:07
Subject: Re: Almost there, Now the Amanda Client...
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Amro Radwan <aradwan AT food DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:50:56 -0600
--On Friday, February 07, 2003 11:04:54 -0800 Amro Radwan <aradwan AT food DOT
com> wrote:

All,

I've pretty much setup everything I need on the Amanda Backup Server..
but now I'm trying to configure the Amanda Client.  I've got to say the
documentation in the Unix Backup and Recovery by W. Preston, doesn't
really go into depth of configuring the client.

Can anyone recommend any good reading of how to configure the Amanda
client?  I'm using a predominantly Sun environment, with a few NT/2000
boxes.

-Amro

Install the software (you can configure with the  --without-server option
if it will never be used as the Amanda server).
Create the backup user and group (if they don't already exist)
Create backup user's home directory if needed
Create ~backupuser/.amandahosts:
serverhost.dom.ain      backupuser
chmod 600 ~backupuser/.amandahosts
mkdir ~backupuser/gnutar-lists   (if you're using tar, directory should be
whatever specified in configure's --with-gnutar-listdir=)
touch /etc/amandates
chown backupuser:group all of the above
Add to /etc/services:
amanda          10080/udp                       # Amanda backup
Add to /etc/inetd.conf:
amanda  dgram   udp     wait    backup  /amanda/install/path/libexec/amandad
amandad
kill -HUP <inetd PID>
If using tar and you have an exclude file in your dumptype called
amanda.exclude, at
the top level of each DLE create amanda.exclude  (i.e., if your DLE is /home
then
create /home/amanda.exclude containing lines like:
./bob/cache
./joe/tmp

Add the DLE to your disklist, then run amcheck <config> to verify it all works.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com