Amanda-Users

Re: ADIC scalar 100 (4x Quantum DLT7000 drives) + Linux + Amanda

2003-02-04 18:46:46
Subject: Re: ADIC scalar 100 (4x Quantum DLT7000 drives) + Linux + Amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Geoff Gowey <ggowey AT rxhope DOT com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:08:56 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 at 5:25pm, Geoff Gowey wrote

> I am trying to set up Amanda with the following setup:
> Linux (2.4.20 kernel)
>
> ADIC Scalar 100 - 4x Quantum DLT7000 Drives
>   - the picker has a barcode scanner
> 120 DLT IV's
>   - all have bar codes
> Adaptec 2944UW controller
>
> Unfortunately, I am confused by the different methods of changing tapes
> (chg-scsi, chg-mtx, chg-zd-mtx).  Here is what I need to do:

You probably want to go with chg-zd-mtx.  There are comments in the
beginning of the script (which ends up in /usr/local/libexec after 'make
install' (unless you change the $PREFIX)) about how to set it up.

This assumes, if course, that mtx <http://mtx.badtux.net/> will talk with
your changer.  Download it, compile it, and see what 'mtx -f
/dev/changer status' gets you (replacing /dev/changer by the generic SCSI
device corresponding to the robot).

> I need to back up multiple machines (NT 4.0 systems) in as short a
> period of time as possible (using all drives at once if possible).  I
> would prefer to use the hardware compression of the drives if it is
> possible.  However, I really need some help in pointing out what is the
> best method of accomplishing what I need I to do as well as any advice
> (or, if possible, how to do it).  Thanks in advance for any help.

Hardware compression is fine -- just lie to amanda about how big your
tapes are.  To use all four tape drives, there are multiple strategies.
You could run four configs, each sharing the robot but with its own tape
drive.  You could use the RAIT code.  Or you could skip chg-zd-mtx and use
chg-multi.  I think the first option will be fastest, but you may run into
contention issues if two configs want to switch tapes at the same time --
I don't know.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain