Amanda-Users

Re: problems with failing (timeout) dupms after upgrade

2003-02-01 12:40:36
Subject: Re: problems with failing (timeout) dupms after upgrade
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT awod DOT com>, amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:04:23 -0600
--On Saturday, February 01, 2003 08:49:26 -0500 stan <stanb AT awod DOT com>
wrote:

I'm in the process of changing my Amanda tape server from an HP 9000/735 to
an Athaolon 1.2GHZ. I'm using the same HP branded DLT40, and i've upped the
holding disk from 2G to 40G. The clients are the same. I've also upgraded
(almost all) of the clients to 2.4.3N4.

I am having major problems with dumps failing because of "timeouts". What
appears to be happening is that the clients are losing there concretion to the
host in mid dump. I;ve decreased the number of dumpers, and put in network
bandwidth limiting (using Amanda.conf), and I;ve had a couple of nights
where everything went OK. But the whole situation seems awfully "fragile".
Before last nights run, i bumped dumpers back up to 16 from 8, and I had 3
filessystems fail! Some filessystems on the same machines succeed.

I don;t believe i have any specific network issues, as no other network
tasks seem to be having problems. The new tapesever is running FreeBSD 4.7
STABLE.

Are you sure it's not a networking related?  No errors from ifconfig
or on your switch?  Also, check your etimeout and dtimeout settings
(estimates or data transfer timeouts), maybe one or both need to
increased.
 If you're using the same config file as the previous machine,
and the machine is the only thing that changed, I'd bet on network
problems (a duplex-mismatch the most likely cause).

Frank

I'm going nuts here, and am looking for any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com