Amanda-Users

Re: Script for maintaining on-disk backups

2002-12-30 10:44:04
Subject: Re: Script for maintaining on-disk backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:47:51 -0500
On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use amanda in a "mostly on hard disk" setup.

   [[ snip ]]

> The script first catalogues all files on disk, then looks for the
> obsolete ones (eg: a fresh level 1 dump makes all the preceding dumps
> with equal or higher levels obsolete) and deletes them.
>
> An additional variable can be used to determine the wanted duplicity,
> which is called "keep." Example: If keep is set to 2 and the last dump
> was level 3, the program will delete all dumps with levels of 4 and
> higher, while keeping the last and second-last level 3 dump.

If I understand your algorithm, it would defeat one of the
amanda capabilities I like and have used a number of times;
the ability to recover files "as of a particular date".

For example, not too long ago I badly mangled a boot-time
configuration file.  Did not realize any problem until a
reboot several weeks later.  As I keep 4 dumpcycles worth
of backups (tape, not hard disk, but the concept would be
the same), I just recovered the config file by picking a
date 3 weeks earlier, prior to my botch job.

Just food for thought.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)