Amanda-Users

Re: Regular Expressions and disklist

2002-12-28 17:50:22
Subject: Re: Regular Expressions and disklist
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Michael Graff <explorer AT flame DOT org>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:13:33 -0500
On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 01:27:18PM -0800, Michael Graff wrote:

> Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:
>
> > There are two commonly encountered pattern matching semantics in unix,
> > "file name generation" (FNG, aka shell wildcards) and "regular expressions"
> > (RE, in multiple forms as in basic and extended).
>
> Are FNG's more commonly known as "glob" ?

I've heard of FNG refered to as globbing.

But "commonly" is so environment relative :)

In my environment, globbing is more commonly known as FNG.

I'd guess it is commonly called globbing among linux/bash users.

However, I prefer FNG as more accurately describing the most common usage
of shell patterns and for the fact that FNG is described on both sh and ksh
man pages while "globbing" is not.  Unfortunately :) the term "noglob" is
the option used by ksh to turn off FNG (the only place where "glob" appears
on either man page),

The bash man page OTOH makes extensive use of "glob" and no mention of FNG.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)