Amanda-Users

Re: Source for tape drives?

2002-12-18 22:07:16
Subject: Re: Source for tape drives?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:30:13 -0500
On Wednesday 18 December 2002 19:56, John Oliver wrote:
>The drive in my TLS-S7000 autoloader is bad (sucks up tapes, then
> won't give 'em back.  Has a wrench on the display).  I'd like to
> find a new/rebuilt SDT-7000 drive for this unit, preferably from
> a local (San Diego, CA) vendor.  Anyone know of one?

Its been 40 years since I was last in San Diego, John, but I've
managed to hit a lick or 2 on eBay in fairly recent history.  Like
the brand new, still sealed in the box, seagate 4586n changer I'm
wearing out now.  By the time fedex dropped it off on my step, my
card was out a few cents over $150.

Humm, eBay doesn't have a TLS-S7000, but they do have an already
sold TSL-S7000.  According to the notes on that sale, this one is
labeled as an ADIC 800E, so that may widen your choices when
attempting to obtain a likeness of the Sony.  According to those
same notes, it is all Sony internally, wearing the TSL-S7000 labels
from Sony.  ADIC is a repackager/relabeler I think, one that likes
to offer turnkey solutions, but there is the usual qty of their
stuff on eBay on any given week.

It went for $110, about 500 below most expectations for similar tape
lashups.  With no "inprint" disclaimers that would make me wary,
the sale price itself does make me wary, as if it was sold a bit
under the table or something.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M