Amanda-Users

Re: backup problems

2002-12-11 05:08:56
Subject: Re: backup problems
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: heryzo AT simicro-internet DOT mg
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:30:40 +0100
Hi,
disabling hw-compression is easyyou have 2 choices:
1.) dip-switches/jumpers on drive
    (best solution, but more work at the moment,
     lookup the needed switch in your drive-manual)
2.) mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompress off
    (faster for the moment, but you have to re-apply it
     after every reboot/scsi-reset.)
Christoph

heryzo AT simicro-internet DOT mg schrieb:
Selon Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>:

Hi,
please give a bit more details, for example how much data amanda wrote to
the
tape, how big you told amanda your tapes are, do u use hw/sw-compression or
both
etc....

my tapetype is (after running tapetype on my tapeserver)

define tapetype HP-DAT-DDS2  {
    comment "HP DAT r<E9>sultat produit par tapetype sur parasy "
    length 3264 mbytes
    filemark 15 kbytes
    speed 377 kps
}

datas to be backed up are about 3,5 Go uncompressed and 1,7Go compressed.

I use software compression via amanda define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}

Without these info's we can't tell you what's going on.....
But a common error is using both hardware and software compression, which
results in reduced tape capacity as the data writen to tape get's expanden
by the hardware-compression step.
on debian you can check if your hw-compression is enabled by using the
command

mt -f /dev/your_tape_device datcompress

Ooops, hardware compressoin is turned on also. I've read some comments about
disabling HW compression for amanda to work best.

results is:

parasy:~# mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompress
Compression on.
Compression capable.
Decompression capable

I'm gonne find a way to disable HW compression.

Thanks for your answer. I'l keep you updated.

It will tell you the status of your hardware.
Christoph

heryzo AT simicro-internet DOT mg schrieb:

Hi all,

I have the following problems using amanda2.4.2p2-4  on a debian box. Tape

is HP

Surestore DAT with DDS2 4/8Go.

The dumps were flushed to tape TestConf12.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: Bad file descriptor]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush again to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: TestConf13.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
 baleine.ba /var/lib/mysql lev 1 FAILED [out of tape]
 ntpaymaste /var/backups lev 1 FAILED [out of tape]

Even if I clean my tape, this problem tend to happen more frequently.
Sometimes I have an [Input/Output error] when backing up my filesystems.

Anyone ever had this kind of problem? Any indications or ideas welcome.

Hery Zo