Amanda-Users

Re: RAIT and chg-manual

2002-12-03 19:57:49
Subject: Re: RAIT and chg-manual
From: "Marc W. Mengel" <mengel AT fnal DOT gov>
To: "Craig Hancock chancock AT bsd.uchicago DOT edu" <chancock AT delphi.bsd.uchicago DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:21:30 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Craig Hancock chancock AT bsd.uchicago DOT edu wrote:

> There has been alot of discussion lately on how to use
> RAIT. I have attempted to setup rait on my site and I haven't had
> much success.
>
> I have and AIT-3 Overland library system that can hold 38 tapes.
> My setup is like this I split the library system in have the first 18
> slots and its drive belong to a certain number of hosts. The other
> half is meant for one host ane one host alone.
>
> The first have uses one tape device and the chg-zd-mtx tape
> changer and that works well. When I tried to configure RAIT
> with chg-manual I am getting prompted to insert tapes that are
> already in the library.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  chg-manual *always* prompts you to
load tapes manually -- hence the "manual".  It doesn't look at your
library; it doesn't *do* anything except prompt you and wait.

You could *modify* chg-manual to do something useful in this context,
(i.e. load two tapes into two drives with mtx, etc.) but it isn't setup
that way out of the box.

In the CVS repository I've added a draft of a chg-rait changer,
in which you list N other changers, and it runs each of them
and combines the devices into a rait:{...} device set.  You might
want to pull that out and give it a try; configure two
chg-zd-mtx configs (one for drive 0 and some range of slots,
the other for drive 1 and another range of slots) and list those
two configs in a file for chg-rait.

Marc