Amanda-Users

Re: amanda reports and some questions

2002-09-21 16:43:46
Subject: Re: amanda reports and some questions
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Neil" <neil-on-amanda AT restricted.dyndns DOT org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:23:42 -0400
On Saturday 21 September 2002 16:05, Neil wrote:

>Here is the newly generated conf generated by tapetype program:
>define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
>   comment "just produced by tapetype program"
>   length 3916 mbytes
>   filemark 174 kbytes
>   speed 446 kps
>}
That looks a bit more like it.

>Previously, it was:
>define tapetype C1533A_120 {
>   comment "HP C1533A DDS2 with 120m tapes"
>   length 3858 mbytes
>   filemark 107 kbytes
>   speed 507 kbytes
>}
>
>On the box of my tape, it says there 8 gig compressed. How will I
> be able to achieve this? Are my new values fine or should the
> digit appear as near 8 gigs in value?

No, this 3916 mbytes is the real capacity of *that* tape.  Amanda
counts byte going to the tape *after* any software compression has
been done.

The box contains whatever the marketing weenies want to claim, and
they always claim a value thats about the mean (rounded up to the
next gig mind you) of twice the actual based on everybody using the
hardware compression.

Software beats that most any day of the week by wide margins.  I
have a report from not too long ago that advises me it used 3940
mbytes of the tape (its rare a backup is that big here), but that
the source before any compression was applied was nearly 12
gigabytes!  This on the same tape you're using in a Compaq (Seagate
4586np) changer, without hitting EOT.  But I'd bet the unused was
measured in inches & not very many of them at that.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M