Amanda-Users

Re: win32

2002-09-19 10:48:26
Subject: Re: win32
From: Christophe Kalt <kalt AT taranis DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:32:25 -0400
On Sep 18, JC Simonetti wrote:
| If someone is interested in going through the development
| of this client, we might start the development again... But
| I cannot do it alone, I do not have enough time.

What i don't understand is why noone's actually looked at
writing a native port of amandad or why NTTAR is used rather
than ntbackup or some other native tool.  (I don't believe
NTTAR will work for everything, for instance MS Exchange..)

IMO, the samba hack is a nasty kludge, and totally
inappropriate for a lot of things as it doesn't handle
extended attributes (such as ACLs).

The amanda-win32 looked promising, but nothing's been
happening with it for a long time as people have mentioned.
And it is based on the PW32 SF project which is in the same
state of abandonment as amanda-win32, so you're actually
looking at 2 projects to maintain, not just one.

Also, it seems that it would be much less work to actually
port the existing (UNIX) amanda source (at least or at most?;)
the client parts.  Having a separate project really doesn't
seem right.