ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 8.1.1 on Linux crash

2018-01-09 11:59:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 8.1.1 on Linux crash
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:58:09 +0100
Hi All,

over here we have a few TSM servers on Linux (RHEL 7.4) TSM 8.1.1.021 (to be
upgraded to .100 soon) and we see something new that we never saw on AIX. If
for some reason a tape gets left in a drive (IBM 3592) the only way to get the
drive working again in to reboot the drive. Until then TSM is unable to open
the drive (error 16). Unfortunately we seem to be able to reliably cause severe
issues in TSM by rebooting a tapedrive:

kernel: NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#6 stuck for 22s! [dsmserv:6021]

The only way out is to reboot the entire server.

We never had such issues with TSM on AIX… is this something Linux-specific that
we can hang TSM in non-interuptable routines (kernel space) by simply rebooting
a tape drive?

--

 Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post