ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problems after upgrading client from 7.1.6.3 to 8.1.0.2

2017-10-06 10:38:03
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problems after upgrading client from 7.1.6.3 to 8.1.0.2
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 10:36:15 -0400
We have this server that is used to backup DFS mounts/files.  It has 30+
TSM nodes configured to it.

In the past, everything has been running like it should, albeit a little
slow sometimes due to the size of some of the DFS mounts but the backups
would usually finish.

After upgrading the client to 8.1.0.2, we are experiencing constant
problems. Many of the backups are not completing, some node sessions are
running 10+ hours to examine 1000 files and backup 7MB in changes, etc.

Looking at the logs, we are seeing numerous "A IBM Spectrum Protect core
file or crash report was found:" crash-dumps for most of the nodes, often
numerous times within the same backup session.

Instrumentation statistics on a few nodes I examined say the largest time
consumer is "Process Dirs".

>From the SP server perspective, these nodes are in a constant "Idle Wait".
Session info shows lots of metadata send to the client, but very little
coming from the client.

The only change has been the SP client upgrade.  Yes we have rebooted the
server (Windows 2012) multiple times to clear the hung sessions (sometimes
running multiple days and never ending).

Any way to determine is going on?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator