ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Questions related to Protect directory container pools to TAPE

2017-05-05 06:48:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] Questions related to Protect directory container pools to TAPE
From: Mark Beta <markb3t4 AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 12:46:35 +0200
Hello,
With IBM Spectrum Protect Version 7.1.7 and later, you can protect
directory-container storage pools by copying the data to container-copy
storage pools, where the data is stored on tape volumes.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.0/
srv.admin/t_contcp_stgpool_protect.html

But the question is, when i have a spectrum protect with NOT extended
edition license, how i can rotate tape volumes offsite without using DRM
that is not included in the license?

Knowledge center (link above) says:

"If DRM is not configured, you must do so or USE AN ALTERNATE METHOD TO
ROTATE TAPES OFFSITE"
If i try to rotate offsite like legacy copy storage pool, updating the
volume access and location, for scripting tape rotation, i get:
ANR2117E UPDATE VOLUME: Access mode for volume 000001L7 cannot be changed
to "offsite" - volume either does not belong to a copy storage pool or from
a device class of DEVTYPE=SERVER.
ANR2212I UPDATE VOLUME: No volumes updated.

The volume was checked out from the library, but the access is "readwrite".
The next "protect stgpool type=local" the volume probably will be attempted
to access, and will be put in unavailable.
Butreclamation will be effective and the volume will be reclaimed and
"scratched" So that I can bring it back to free when it reaches the empty
state?

I can not understand how it may be mandatory to have DRM.

Regards.

Mark