ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Questions related to Container pools

2017-05-03 10:49:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Questions related to Container pools
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 14:47:52 +0000
Hi Team !

IBM recently released an interesting document summarizing best practices with
regards to container storage pools
(https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli
Storage Manager/page/Container Pool Best Practices ) and some of the
information in it triggered two questions, which I would like some Spectrum
Protect insider (Del ?) or anyone having good knowledge of this to answer ...

First question :  page 14 of the PDF document, chapter 1.4 , states that it is
not appropriate to use container pools in the case of NDMP backups. What is the
reason for it ? My understanding is that it is possible to make use of NDMP
without a tape based storage pool, thus I don't get the point here ...

Second question : several references in the book are seeming to stress that one
should make use of ONE SINGLE container storage pool for a whole TSM server
(chapter 1.2.5.1.2 page 13, chapter 1.5.1 page 15). I do understand that
deduplication is made at storage pool level, and that segregating backup data
in several storage pools will weaken deduplication rates, but are there some
other reasons which are not explained in the book, that would justify the use
of only ONE container pool (like more hammering on the TSM DB during backup
times if we make use of several storage pools, or others I did not think about)
We plan to build a new TSM environment which will be based only on container
storage pool(s ?), and I feel kind of uncomfortable to send all of my data in
the same bucket (less granularity for reporting, auditing, protecting and so on
...).  Does someone have arguments (pro or cons) or experience to share about
this ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Cheers.

Arnaud

******************************************************************************************************************************
Backup and Recovery Systems Administrator
Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland,
CIT Department Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone: +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com<mailto:arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT
com>
This electronic message transmission contains information from Panalpina and is
confidential or privileged. This information is intended only for the person
(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use or any other action based on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.

If you receive this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender
by e-mail, telephone or fax at the numbers listed above. Thank you.