ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM7.1.7 DB growing with Dedup

2017-04-20 09:39:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM7.1.7 DB growing with Dedup
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:38:28 +0200
You're welcome Bill.

And yes, you need to bring down TSM for an offline reorg, they are very
fast however, especially if you run them on SSD's as a target location for
the reorg and you do it one table at a time so you can stop after 2 if you
are running out of time for instance and do the others in another window.

I've seen massive performance enhancements after an offline reorg.

I would recommend using the analyze_db2_formulas.pl script, the output is
very usefull and looks like this:

tsminst1@hostname:~/20170420-0818> cat summary.out
BEGIN SUMMARY
"db2 alter tablespace BFABFIDXSPACE reduce max" will return = 28.2G to the
operating system file system
"db2 alter tablespace BFBFEXTIDXSPACE reduce max" will return = 31.5G to
the operating system file system
BF_BITFILE_EXTENTS needs to be reorganized. estimated savings Table    5
GB, Index    2 GB
BF_QUEUED_CHUNKS needs to be reorganized. estimated savings Table    1 GB,
Index  163 GB
Total estimated savings 171 GB
END SUMMARY
tsminst1@hostname:~/20170420-0818>

You can see what tablespaces need a reorg and what need a reduce max. The
reduce max estimates can be a bit to optimistic but still, never good
indication or where your attention should be.

Good luck

  Stefan