ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] using TDP-SQL w/o proxy relationships?

2017-04-14 10:18:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] using TDP-SQL w/o proxy relationships?
From: Markus Stumpf <Markus.Stumpf AT EMPALIS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:08:39 +0200
Hi Steve,

There are 2 kind of proxy relations possible in DP for SQL.

The Proxy relations required to perform VSS backups:
local dsmagent needs to be granted permission to dp node.

and in case you use always On configuration:
dp node needs access to the "virtual" AlwaysOn node

If you do not want to run VSS style backups you need to set your backupmethod to legacy in tdpsql.cfg file or better:
Run the TSM configuration wizard inside the MMC and enable the tick: Do not configure VSS backups (not 100% sure, this is the correct wording, but it is on the wizard page, where you define your node names)

In this case no proxy relations between local dsm agent and dp node are needed.

Your problem here is, that your AlwaysOn Node has the same name as your DP Node (Nodename in dsm.opt of tdpsql).

In case you want to backup AlwaysOn enabled databases you need to configure proxy relations between each DP Node (ussually a minimum of 2 SQL Server participate on the AlwaysOn configuration) two the virtual always ON node.

For example:

AlwaysOn Node: AAInstance1
SQL Servers: SQL1 and SQL2 (having baclient nodes SQL1 and SQL2 and DP nodes  SQL1_SQL and SQL2_SQL)

you need for legacy only config:
grant proxy agent=SQL1_SQL target=AAInstance1
grant proxy agent=SQL2_SQL target=AAInstance1

To configure both legacy and VSS the complete list of proxy relations is:
grant proxy agent=SQL1_SQL target=AAInstance1
grant proxy agent=SQL2_SQL target=AAInstance1
grant proxy agent=SQL1 target=AAInstance1
grant proxy agent=SQL2 target=AAInstance1
grant proxy agent=SQL1 target=SQL1_SQL
grant proxy agent=SQL2 target=SQL2_SQL

You can also use the TSM Configuration wizard to configure the proxy relations on the TSM Server by enabling TSM configuration in the wizard and edit the macro file.
You can pick all required proxy relations from the macro file and skip the not needed definitions for domain, policies and so on if those already exist.

Best regards
Markus Stumpf

Markus Stumpf
Service Operations Manager

IBM Certified Deployment Professional - Spectrum Protect V 8.1. Grandfathered
IBM Certified Deployment Professional Tivoli Storage Manager V6.3 Grandfathered

Empalis Consulting GmbH
Wankelstrasse 14
70563 Stuttgart
t_    +49 711 46928 260
f_    +49 711 46928 239
m_ +49 (0) 172  5414567
mailto:markus.stumpf AT empalis DOT com

http://www.empalis.com

Geschäftsführer: Rainer Schilling, Peter Röder
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 738239

Konto: 0258228 bei Deutsche Bank AG Heilbronn BLZ 620 700 24

Diese e-Mail einschließlich ihrer Anhänge ist vertraulich. Wir bitten, eine fehlgeleitete e-Mail
unverzüglich vollständig zu löschen und uns eine Nachricht zukommen zu lassen. Wir haben die
e-Mail beim Ausgang auf Viren geprüft; wir raten jedoch wegen der Gefahr auf den Übertragungswegen
zu einer Eingangskontrolle. Eine Haftung für Virenbefall schließen wir aus.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, please immediately delete its contents and notify us. This e-mail was checked for virus
contamination before being sent. Nevertheless, it is advisable to check for any contamination
occurring during transmission. We cannot accept any liability for virus contamination.