ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] restructuring tsm db into several smaller filesystesm

2016-12-30 13:37:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] restructuring tsm db into several smaller filesystesm
From: Sasa Drnjevic <Sasa.Drnjevic AT SRCE DOT HR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 19:35:21 +0100
On 2016-12-30 15:02, Lee, Gary wrote:
> TSM server 6.3.4 Running on RHEL 6.7
>
> Finally received a 24 drive disk shelf to attach to my tsm server.
> Now want to move the db from a single mirrored disk pair to four
> smaller raided disks to gain speed.
>
> I can add the new directories easily enough, but how to remove the
> old db directory to re-use the disk space?

All the following commands must be executed by the TSM DB instance owner.

You will have to restore TSM db to your new directories.

BUT you will restore it only AFTER YOU BACK UP your TSM db, and then
drop it like this.

First, example of the backup:

$ backup db devclass=ULT6C-BK0 type=full volumenames=M00100L6 scratch=no
$ backup db devclass=ULT6C-BK0 type=full volumenames=M00101L6 scratch=no

Then DROP db:

$ ./dsmserv removedb TSMDB1

Then after you are 100% sure that you have at least one usable TSM DB
backup, you will restore your TSM DB only to your new directories.

You will have to list your new directories in the restore option "on="
like in the following CLI command:

$ ./dsmserv restore db todate=today source=DBBackup on=dbdir.file

Example content of the dbdir.file containing only new directories would be:

/tsmdbdir01
/tsmdbdir02
/tsmdbdir03
/tsmdbdir04

Of course, REMEMBER to back up your volume history, device config and
dsmserv.opt file before doing all of the above!

More details here:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/srv.reference/r_cmd_dsmserv_restore_db_pit.html

After the restore is finished, you can remove old directories from file
system and use the disk space.

First make sure that TSM is using only the new directories by querying
the database space like this:

TSM:>  query dbspace

--
Sasa