ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Restoring from really old TSM clients

2016-07-27 15:13:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] Restoring from really old TSM clients
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:10:01 -0400
I have a user who wants to archive their old Solaris SPARC system before
killing it, and keep the archives for 5-years.

This is a Solaris 5.9 system so the most current client is v5.5.

I am about to upgrade my servers to 7.1.6 (from 6.3.5.100). What are the
chances the archives will be restore/retrieve-able in 5-years when SP V10
or 11 is the server level?

This isn't our oldest client.  There are 2-Solaris 5.8 servers with 5.3
client still backing up.  Until last year, we still had a 4.x client.

How do you handle long-term archiving (yes I realize 5-years really isn't
that long) or discontinued/decommissioned servers?

What is the largest gap between client and server version that someone has
successfully restored/retrieved data from?

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator