ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Spectrum Protect documentatie on Knowledgecenter site

2016-06-07 17:56:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Spectrum Protect documentatie on Knowledgecenter site
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 17:55:10 -0400
Hi Roger,

Yes, I remember meeting you as well, that was a long time ago!

I was talking with one of our senior ID (Information Development) engineers
and she pointed me to this "Easter egg", which I believe has what you are
looking for. Note that since version 7.1.5 is a server-only level, the
books in that bundle reflect that:

   ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/products/TSM/current/

I am going to see if we can find a way to prominently position that link on
our actual knowledge base pages (the "PDF files" section in the TOC is a
logical choice...).

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2016-06-07
12:57:27:

> From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 2016-06-07 12:58
> Subject: Re: Spectrum Protect documentatie on Knowledgecenter site
>
> Thanks Andy. You've always been helpful to WDSF/ADSM/TSM/ISP customers;
> I still remember meeting you in person at a SHARE conference some years
> ago. These links are helpful while IBM sorts out its documentation mess.
>
> This discussion is why I have always saved PDFs whenever I ran across
> them, to an encrypted USB thumb drive that I carry with me, especially
> at places like heavily firewalled data centers or DR sites. I shudder to
> think what recovery would be like in an actual disaster with only online
> web "knowledge center" documentation to tell me how to proceed to
> recover my employer's critical business information as quickly as
> possible - if I could access the web at all. As we see here, even
> bookmarking those online sites is a pointless exercise, since the URLs
> change so frequently. Keeping this "bookshelf" of PDFs (backed up to TSM
> and to PCs both at work and at home) should be a crucial part of any DR
> plan. I'll be using this list of URLs to update my bookshelf.
>
> It is also why I have written previously (at length, to the point of
> admittedly becoming redundant) about the removal of the Administrator's
> Guide as a single book, and scattering its priceless collection of
> content to the winds in the form of thousands of online web pages.
>
> Again, thnaks Andy!
>
> Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     rogerd AT uic DOT
> edu
> ======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====
>

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Andrew Raibeck wrote:
>
> >I hear and feel (and see) the pain, and have passed the comments on.
Let's
> [...]
> >
> >3. If you do not immediately see what you are looking for (like info
about
> >Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server), click on the "Product suites
and
> >related products" link in the TOC, and in the right hand side you should
> >see links to the products you are looking for.
> >
> >ALTERNATIVELY
> >
> >1. From the landing page, click a product (like Tivoli Storage Manager
for
> >Databases) in the "Find related products" section. It will take you to a
> >page like this:
> >

>http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSTFZR/landing/welcome_sstfzr.html

> >2. Select a product version from the drop-down list (this time it will
show
> >7.1.4 as the latest because there is no 7.1.5 for this product).
> >
> >3. Once again you will see the breadcrumb trail in the upper left
corner.
> >Click on the icon to see the TOC.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >
> >Andy

> >Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> >
> >IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
> >Product support:
> >https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/
> tivoli_storage_manager
> >
> >Online documentation:
>
>http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

> >Product Wiki:
> >https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/
> Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager
> >
> >"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2016-06-06
> >13:16:02:
> >
> >> From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> >> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >> Date: 2016-06-06 13:18
> >> Subject: Re: Spectrum Protect documentatie on Knowledgecenter site
> >> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >>
> >> Thanks all, saved my day tomorrow with the pdf links guy's.
> >>
> >> Please IBM don't mess around with the documentation, this stuff is
> >> essential to get right and keeping simple and fast access is a
necessity.

> >> So please keep it simple, keep it in one place, give us a webinterface
> >that
> >> makes it easy to select versions and find the stuff we need. HTML is
fine
> >> but also give us complete pdf files please without going to some wiki
of
> >> ftp link, bundles of all documentation per version are a nice addition
> >but
> >> just make it easy to find later on not just a ftp directory and/or
some
> >> obscure wiki page somewhere.
> >> Without quick and easy access to pdf files we can get into trouble
with
> >our
> >> work, I for one don't have web access everywhere due to all sorts of

Behalf
> >Of
Knowledgecenter
> >site

> >can't

> >seems

> >7.1.0

> >> com.ibm.itsm.ic.doc/welcome.html

> >of

> >> com.ibm.itsm.nav.doc/r_inst_links.html

> >http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.4/tsm/welcome.html

Knowledge

> >> com.ibm.itsm.mail.dom.doc/b_dp_dom_win.pdf

> >> com.ibm.itsm.nav.doc/r_pdfs.html

Knowledgecenter