ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Do I need SQL Remote Client Agent running?

2016-06-06 16:56:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] Do I need SQL Remote Client Agent running?
From: Tom Alverson <tom.alverson AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 16:54:34 -0400
For our conventional file based backups we used to use just the scheduler
service (without the Client Acceptor Daemon) but have now changed to having
an instance of the CAD service control the file backup scheduler (seems to
minimize the footprint and eliminate and memory leak issues in the
scheduler).

For SQL backups, once we install the SQL agent and run the GUI it pops up a
window and automatically sets up a second Client Acceptor Daemon that
controls another service - the Remote Client Agent.  Then we manually
create another standalone Scheduler services to run the SQL backups.  This
second Client Acceptor Daemon then creates a web page on port 1581 or 1582
that we never use but always shows up in vulnerability scans if we don't
have the latest client installed.  What is the purpose of the auto set up
SQL CAD / Remote Client Agent in this configuration?  Can I just stop and
disable the TDP SQL Client Acceptor Daemon so it will not create this web
page?  Or is there some other function it performs that will cause issues
if it is disabled?

Tom

(TSM for VE backups running fine now after cleaning out C:\windows\temp but
VM exclusions still broken in 7.1.4.1)