ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in TSM

2016-05-23 07:32:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in TSM
From: Michael Prix <mp AT RS6000.DARKTECH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 13:29:50 +0200
Hello Kumar,

  well, that's not the way TSM is working. There is no strict correlation
between a drive and a node or storagepool.
But for your setup, it is still not advisableto backup Database-logs directly
to tape because of the latency. Logs are relatively small files, and during
the start of a backup the heads of the tape have still to be positioned which
will lead to a delay, followed by a small write, followed by a log wait.
Rince, lather, repeat. Drives are to expensive for that. So the best setup is
to backup big databases to Tape - preferable lanfree, and backup the logs to a
diskpool - wich can be drained once an hour (maype earlier) to tape.
  If you still persist in backing up logs directly to tape, take a look at the
mountretention settings in the device-class. Set it to such a value that the
tape will not be dismounted between two consecutive log backups and you should
be fine.

As for your 2nd wish: TDP for ERP aka SAP-Backup and TDP for Oracle can
provide this feature.