ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 7.1.4.0

2016-02-08 12:00:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 7.1.4.0
From: Maurice van 't Loo <maurice AT BACKITUP DOT NU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 17:58:48 +0100
Hi David,

Don't know about the withdraw, but in specific cases that you can easily
check for yourself, there is a potential dataloss. We continue with upgrade
to 7.1.4.0 as we need to backup NetApp cDOT systems.

Here is the Flash:

Schedules with a period of ONETIME are executed again during server
initialization.
Flash (Alert)

Abstract
Schedules with a period of ONETIME that were previously executed are
executed again during each server initialization after the Tivoli Storage
Manger server is upgraded to 7.1.4.0.

Content

PROBLEM SUMMARY:

When the Tivoli Storage Manager server is upgraded to 7.1.4.0, old
schedules with a period of ONETIME can be executed again every time the
server restarts. This issue has the potential for undetected data loss. The
actual exposure depends on the actions performed by the one time schedules
that are executed again when the server restarts.

WHO IS AFFECTED:

All Tivoli Storage Manager server 7.1.4.0 and 7.1.4.001 - 7.1.4.003
cumulative efix users.
This problem is documented by APAR IT13071.

RECOMMENDATION:

Before upgrading to the 7.1.4.0 level of the server, check if one time
schedules exist:

Issue the following from an administrative client:
select schedule_name from admin_schedules where perunits='ONE TIME'
and also
select domain_name, schedule_name from client_schedules where perunits='ONE
TIME'

If any one time schedules exist then delete the schedules before performing
the upgrade.

During normal server operations it is possible that new one time schedules
are created. If currently running the server on an affected level check for
the creation of new one time schedules and delete them before restarting
the server, otherwise they could run again on each restart.

PROBLEM RESOLUTION:

This problem is fixed in Tivoli Storage Manager server versions 7.1.4.100
and higher.
If the server was running on an affected level then the first time the
server is restarted after upgrading to 7.1.4.100 or higher, the one time
schedules may run again. If upgrading to 7.1.4.100 or higher from an
affected level first delete the onetime schedules to prevent them from
running again.

Regards,
Maurice van 't Loo