ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Client for Windows 10

2015-09-28 07:00:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Client for Windows 10
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 06:52:10 -0400
Hello All,

Windows 10 is not officially supported yet.

Most functions will work with the 7.1.3 BA Client,
but there are two known issues:

1. GSKit SSL issue which requires an update to GSKit.

2. The BA Client Web GUI does not work on the Edge Browser
   because Edge does not support Java. You can use
   Internet Explorer 11 since it is shipped with Windows 10.

The target to address issue #1 above is for 7.1.4 in Q4, however,
you may see something come out for 7.1.3.x as well.

Thank you,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/27/2015
02:51:27 PM:

> From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 09/27/2015 02:49 PM
> Subject: Re: Client for Windows 10
>
> I did not encounter the two-step install. I installed 64-bit Windows 10
> from a DVD onto bare metal. Then I installed TSM Client V7.1.3 which was
> only a one-step process. It appears to work, but I'm nervous about using
> it in production until I hear from IBM. I assume it will have the same
> restrictions as noted for Windows 8.1.
>
> Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     rogerd AT uic DOT
> edu
> ======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====
>

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, J. Pohlmann wrote:
>
> >I haven't seen a support statement. Here is my experience (sample of 1
- use
> >your judgement). My 7.1.2 clients survived the upgrade to Windows 10
just
> >fine. I have upgraded one Windows 10 client to 7.1.3 by installing over
the
> >7.1.2 client. It was a two-step instaal: 1) install the prereq - then
the
> >installed quit; 2) install the client - the installer now saw the
pre-req
> >and the install went fine. I also set up the services and for the first
time
> >in many months, the Web client/Java worked (wonders never cease to
happen).
> >Backups and restore worked fine. My intent is to upgrade once there is
> >7.1.3.x with official support for Windows 10. Maybe the install will
then
> >just be a one-step install.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Joerg Pohlmann

Of
> >Roger Deschner
> >Sent: September 23, 2015 07:48
> >To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >Subject: [ADSM-L] Client for Windows 10
> >
> >We are starting to get requests for a TSM client to back up Windows 10.
> >I've been testing V7.1.3 on a 64-bit Windows 10 test machine which
> >*appears* to work. With Microsoft pushing Windows 10 upgrades as fast
as
> >they can backed by slick television advertizing, and with unhappy
Windows