ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SKIPSYSTEMEXCLUDE test flag - what's the worst that could happen?

2015-09-01 12:13:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] SKIPSYSTEMEXCLUDE test flag - what's the worst that could happen?
From: "Schofield, Neil (Storage & Middleware, Backup & Restore)" <Neil.Schofield AT LLOYDSBANKING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 17:13:03 +0100
For historic reasons that I've yet to track down, the following option was
added to the client options file on one of our Windows 2008 R2 servers:

TESTFLAG SKIPSYSTEMEXCLUDE

Now as a result of us using this test flag the Boot Configuration Data in
C:\BOOT is backed up as part of both the system state and the C: drive backup.
During a recent recovery test of the server both were restored and the server
didn't boot. The symptoms (and a probable cause) are exactly as described in
the following MS KB article:

So I was wondering if anyone else had had cause to use this particular test
flag and whether it had impacted on your ability to do a full system restore?

Regards

Neil Schofield
Tivoli Storage Manager SME
LLOYDS BANKING GROUP

Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ.
Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555. Lloyds Bank plc.
Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England
and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered
Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000.
Telephone: 08457 21 31 41. Cheltenham & Gloucester plc. Registered Office:
Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 3RL. Registered in England and Wales 2299428.
Telephone: 0845 603 1637

Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc are authorised by the Prudential
Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and
Prudential Regulation Authority.

Cheltenham & Gloucester plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial
Conduct Authority.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Cheltenham & Gloucester Savings
is a division of Lloyds Bank plc.

HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in
Scotland no. SC218813.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may
contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments) immediately. You
must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any
attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.