ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disk layout for AIX

2015-07-15 09:55:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disk layout for AIX
From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 13:53:12 +0000
With your current vg setup you are dedicating one or more luns to each vg.
The good is dedicated resources of that lun (iops+capacity) in each vg.
But the converse is also true, you _only_ have the dedicated resources of that
lun in the vg.
If you max out the resources of a vg and others are sitting with spare
resources, then resources get wasted.

We like to mostly pool our luns into a few vg's.
The lv's in a vg are all spread across the vg luns.

Here is how our TSm servers are setup.  Nothing special, but it seems to work
for us.
Each TSm server has 2 vg's.  One for the database and "stuff", and another for
disk pools.

================================
==> vgtsm9 - database and stuff
================================

This vg has all the database.

Note the 4 filesystems for the db2 data, 2 filesystems for
active logs, and one filesystem for archive logs.
The filesystems are all spread across 6 x 200gb luns.

lsvg -l vgtsm9
vgtsm9:
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs     PPs     PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
tsmdata             jfs2       2       2       2    open/syncd    /tsmdata
loglv00             jfs2log    1       1       1    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9                jfs2       960     960     6    open/syncd    /tsmdata/tsm9

tsmscripts          jfs2       16      16      6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm_scripts
db2activelog1       jfs2       3000    3000    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2activelog1
db2activelog2       jfs2       3000    3000    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2activelog2
db2archivelog       jfs2       9000    9000    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2archivelog
db2data1            jfs2       4600    4600    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2data1
db2data2            jfs2       4600    4600    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2data2
db2data3            jfs2       4600    4600    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2data3
db2data4            jfs2       4600    4600    6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/db2data4
tsm9install         jfs2       400     400     6    open/syncd
/tsmdata/tsm9/install

================================
==> vgtsm9stg - disk pools
================================

We use raw logical vols for our disk pool.
These raw vols are all spread across 5 x 200gb luns.

lsvg -l vgtsm9stg
vgtsm9stg:
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs     PPs     PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
tsm9stg01           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg02           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg03           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg04           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg05           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg06           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg07           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg08           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A
tsm9stg09           jfs2       800     800     5    open/syncd    N/A

Rick