ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Share permission changes

2015-05-11 17:13:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Share permission changes
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 17:11:54 -0400
This is a problem for NTFS because the amount of metadata associated with an
object is more than you can put into the TSM database.  Thus, TSM puts it into
the storage pool, along with the object.  What this means is that when the meta
changes, the object has to be backed up again.  This is not a problem for
Unix/NFS, because there isn't much metadata and it can all be put into the TSM
DB, which means if it changes it's just a DB update and not another backup of
the object.

Bad enough for backups, but imagine if you had a PB-scale GPFS filesystem and
someone unwittingly makes such a change.  Now you're talking about having to
recall all of those objects in order to back them up again.  Ugh.  End of game.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Assistant Director for Storage Services   Fx: 607-255-8521