ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problem with "domain" option

2015-03-20 11:05:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problem with "domain" option
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:03:24 +0000
We have a client system running 64 bit Windows 2008 and using TSM 7.1.1.0
client code. An H drive that does not need backup coverage was recently added
to the system. The system administrator added the following line to dsm.opt:

domain  ALL-LOCAL -h:

The GUI client claims that this line is invalid and "helpfully" offers to turn
it into a comment line. The line is almost identical to one of the examples in
the Windows client manual; the only difference is specifying "-h:" rather than
the "-c:" in the example. I have used a Windows port of the Linux "od" utility
to verify that the only non-printing characters in dsm.opt are the normal line
end characters. The option is apparently acceptable to the client scheduler
service; the service will start and remain started with the option in effect. I
don't know how the option affects scheduled backups; the system administrator
has accepted the "helpful" offer from the GUI a number of times, and has
managed to coordinate acceptance of the offer with scheduler service restarts
in such a way that the option has never been in effect during a scheduled
backup.

Is there something genuinely wrong with the "domain" option, or some quirk in
the GUI's validity checking that we can work around (for example, stricter
rules about capitalization or extra white space than the scheduler service and
the documentation)?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.