ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux permissions not restored

2015-03-12 10:40:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux permissions not restored
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:37:57 -0400
Hi Eric,

On UNIX and Linux systems, if only file permissions have changed, then the
latest backup copy is updated with the changed permissions; it is not
backed up again in full.

>From the online documentation at
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_bac_fullpart.html:

Files are backed up when any of the following attributes change:
   * File size
   * Date or time of last modification
   * Extended Attributes
   * Access Control List

If only the following attributes change, the attributes are updated on the
Tivoli Storage Manager server, but the file is not backed up:
   * File owner
   * File permissions     <== This one
   * Inode
   * Group ID
   * Change time (ctime) attribute. See the updatectime option for details.
   (AIX and Linux only)
   * Icon location (Mac OS X only)
   * Type or creator (Mac OS X only)

Best regards,

- Andy

Andrew Raibeck | Tivoli Storage Manager Level 3 Technical Lead |
storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/welcome
Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2015-03-12
10:25:47: