ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Teradata backup

2015-02-05 09:55:56
Subject: [ADSM-L] Teradata backup
From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 14:54:23 +0000
We purchased a Teradata.  Since there are way too many
questions about where this project is going, for right
now we got a basic backup working as they startup this project.

For right now we have this setup:
- BAR server runs Windows (we wanted Linux, but for Teradata
     TSM support requires Windows)
- It sends data to a TSM server via a 1GB Ethernet on our regular network.
- The TSM server writes the data to a NFS/DataDomain share.
- We are filling the 1GB ethernet pipe (110MB/s), so this
     is running as fast as possible.

As the needs develop and become clear, we will have to greatly gear
up backups for much higher throughput.  Some of the options we have
talked about are:

- Put a StorageAgent on the BAR server for direct tape drive access.
- Put a StorageAgent on the BAR server to a DataDomain VTL.
- A TSM server directly on the BAR server driving a 10G ethernet NFS
     connection to a DataDomain.
- A TSM server directly on the BAR server driving a DataDomain VTL.
- The same thing we do now but using a 10G ethernet connection between
     the BAR server and the TSM server.
     - TSM server write to DD on 10g/NFS.
     - TSM server write to tape.
     - TSM server write to DD VTL.
- Don't use TSM - switch to NetBackup, use DataDomain with BOOST, and some
     newer Teredata backup sftw (that doesn't support TSM).
- ?????

Q)  If anyone out there is backing up a Teradata, I'd be interested to
    hear about your setup and experience.

Our concern is creating a big one-off system that will be difficult to
maintain long term.  For example, we have no experience for storage agent
and tape on Windows.

Thanks

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.