ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Printing labels locally for LTO tapes (physically)

2015-01-16 07:04:24
Subject: [ADSM-L] Printing labels locally for LTO tapes (physically)
From: Nick Laflamme <nick AT LAFLAMME DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 06:01:40 -0600
Does anyone have any experience with trying to produce labels in-house to
relabel physically LTO tapes?

We’re going to start using different series of barcode labels as we start
working with outside customers; I want to know just by looking at a tape whose
data should be on that tape. My manager is worried that if we stock on up tapes
as we add each customer, we may end up with too many for one customer and not
enough for another, so he wants to be able to physically relabel the tapes.

I found one article from HP warning against using inkjets or even “office
quality” laser printers as being insufficiently precise for the job. They also
warn about alignment issues, and I can imagine issues with labels falling off.
However, before I say, “No, we shouldn’t even try; we should work with our tape
vendor if we need to relabel tapes,” I want to make sure I’m not running
contrary to actual experiences.

So, have you tried printing your own labels for LTO tapes, and how’d that work
out?

Thanks,
Nick