ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM VE Backup Fails for 1 Guest

2014-11-13 17:09:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM VE Backup Fails for 1 Guest
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 22:08:12 +0000
115 is just a failure to snap.
Log on to Vcenter and see if you can snap it manually from VCenter.

If it won't snap from Vcenter, TSM can't snap it either, and you will have to
treat it as a VMware problem.

If it will snap manually (and I'm assuming this is a Windows guest), then the
problem was getting it to snap at that particular time.  VMware calls MS VSS to
quiesce a Windows machine before a snap.  Usually if it won't snap it's because
it won't quiesce, and if it won't quiesce it's usually because there is too
much I/O going on .

Find out what is going on with the guest at that time and if it happens every
night, try scheduling at a different time of day.
As a last resort you can ask the VMware guy to disable the link between VMware
and MS VSS, see if that works.  But I'm not sure what all the implications of
that are.  I'm sure you can't use the SQL-aware VE function if you disable VSS.

Good luck!