ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ProtecTier and V7000 storage.

2014-09-03 12:35:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] ProtecTier and V7000 storage.
From: Nick Marouf <marouf AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:32:59 -0600
Hello fellow ADSMers,

I'd like to get some feedback on anyone's experience with setting up
ProtecTier using a V7000 for storage. I'm setting up a 2 node TS7650G DD5

The V7000 storage was already allocated by a previous admin, using volumes
with striped visualization. The most recent Redbook Aug 2014 says to use
sequential.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248025.pdf

The ProtecTIER architecture stripes the repository among all file systems
and uses all the disks simultaneously. Because of this architecture, you
should create the volume to accommodate the full size of each MDisk.
Additionally, because of the nature of the ProtecTIER file system
architecture and workload, sequential virtualization has better performance
than striped virtualization.

Before re-starting from scratch, I wanted to get feed back from the field,
and any other tips if you have them. Does anyone have any comparison data
by chance?

Thank you,
-Nick