ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] tsm for ve backup question

2014-08-27 11:26:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] tsm for ve backup question
From: "Lee, Gary" <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:24:35 +0000
TSM for ve 6.4, tsm server 6.2.5 on RHEL 6.1
Data movers on RHEL 6.1.

Ran our first backup of a production vmware host.
We thin provision our vms.
One is provisioned at around 1 tB.  However, according to our vmware admin, it
is using only around 238 gB of disk at this time.

When we ran the backup, It appeared to back up the entire 1 tB of something.
The schedule for the backup is below.
Is this a limitation of the product, or simply misconfiguration.
TSM I can deal with, vmware, I know little about.
Any pointers to good reference info would be appreciated.

I have looked in the TSM for ve users's guide, but don't' see anything.

Schedule follows

            Policy Domain Name: VMWARE-PROD
                 Schedule Name: HOST-ESX06-NIGHTLY
                        Action: Backup
                     Subaction: VM
-asnodename=DC_BSU_RB -domain.vmfull="VMHOST=vmhost06.bsu.edu;-VM=SQLEMAIL01,"
-MODE=IFIncremental
                       Objects:
               Start Date/Time: 08/25/2014 18:00:00
                      Duration: 1 Hour(s)
                Schedule Style: Enhanced
                        Period:
                   Day of Week: Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat
                         Month: Any
                  Day of Month: Any
                 Week of Month: Any
                    Expiration:
Last Update by (administrator): BLBROWN2
         Last Update Date/Time: 08/25/2014 14:20:20
              Managing profile: