ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Database restore oddity

2014-08-19 16:32:30
Subject: [ADSM-L] Database restore oddity
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 20:30:09 +0000
We have a TSM server instance dedicated to use as a library manager. It
performs a
daily database snapshot to virtual volumes on a TSM server instance at another
location. Both instances use TSM 6.2.5.0 and run under zSeries Linux. Yesterday
afternoon I tested part of our DR process. The test involved restoring the
latest
library manager database snapshot to a third Linux image. I did not start the
restored TSM server after the restore finished. The database snapshot from the
original library manager failed this morning with the following message:

ANR4370E The source server is not authorized to create volumes on target server
DC1P1.

The documentation for this message advised me to execute an 'update server'
command with 'forcesync=yes'. I executed such a command on the original
library manager and was able to rerun the snapshot successfully.

TSM documentation states that a database restore changes the verification
token. I thought this meant that the restored TSM server would need the
'update server' with 'forcesync=yes' in order to communicate with the
server holding the virtual volumes; I did not expect a restore to one
system to invalidate a verification token on a server not directly involved
in the restore.  Is the behavior described above an expected result of a
database restore?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.