ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IMPORT / EXPORT

2014-07-25 09:13:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IMPORT / EXPORT
From: Jason Barkes <jason.barkes AT SSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:10:59 +0100
Thanks Harold,
                                   Your approach is more or less what we
are doing here, and you ratified what I believed to be the case.

Many Thanks,
Jason Barkes
Enterprise Support Group

From:   "Vandeventer, Harold [BS]" <Harold.Vandeventer AT KS DOT GOV>
To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:   25/07/2014 14:03

It is my understanding the export only deals with data as it existed at
the initial start of the EXPORT process.  Newly arriving data from backup
is not exported.

The approach I used:
Export the node, making note of the date the process started.
Use SUSPEND EXPORT * in your daily maintenance scripts to temporarily
pause the export before the next backup schedule.
Then use RESTART EXPORT * in later scripting to pick up where that export
left off.
In time, perhaps a few days, the export will finish.
When the initial export is done use the EXPORT <node> FROMDATE= parameter
to collect the new backup activity.

That let the node manager and I coordinate the cut of the node to the new
TSM server on any date that was convenient without my manual oversight of
repeated exports every day.