ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for MSSQL VSS and best practice

2014-07-25 07:20:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for MSSQL VSS and best practice
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:17:32 -0400
Hi Steve,

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.
For your use case, legacy backup still offers the simplest
and most versatile solution. Since you don't have an
immediate need for leveraging hardware snapshots
or offloadeded backups, you don't need to use VSS.
For SQL Server, legacy backups (VDI) still offer the
widest backup and restore features and are the most
efficient when it comes to data transferred and stored
on the TSM Server.

As for TSM for VE, if your SQL Servers are virtualized,
and you begin to protect your VMs using TSM for VE,
the good news is that you can back up your entire VM
containing a running SQL Server, but still use
Data Protection for SQL to restore a single SQL Server
database from that TSM for VE backup. You can even
combine it with Data Protection for SQL log backups
if you want. We published a whitepaper titled
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Protecting Microsoft SQL
Databases Hosted in VMware on how to do that:

     https://ibm.biz/BdRVbA

This means you can use TSM for VE to back up your entire VM
leveraging incremental forever, and still restore
single a SQL Server database from those backups.

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 07/24/2014
11:55:45 PM: